Friday, March 21, 2003

attack in the name of humanity

Last night the attack on Iraq has just begun. I was preparing my presentation for EU class when I saw the news on BBC1. For goodness' sake, it looked so scary! Seemed like they're having firecrackers for new year's eve, whereas actually it's the bombs, the gunfires, or whatever the names were. My concentration on preparing the presentation was kind of distracted by the news.

I wanted to watch it, but I really had to start writing for tomorrow's class. Still, I felt so annoyed with that so-called 'war' thing... what on earth make those idiots think they have the right to attack a country?!! Don't they have enough brain to think that it's the civilians who will suffer the most??!!! I couldn't help but asking such stupid questions...

***

Under special circumstances, the EU class today only took one hour. Half asleep, I gave my presentation and couldn't really respond to the questions raised, but what the heck! After the class, we went to the union for the antiwar demo. Tiago and I went there just to see what's going on. Then we meet Ida, Raine, and Dunya.

Around 12 o'clock, most of the cars in the parking lot honked their horns. Apparently that was part of the action of the antiwar movement throughout the country. That went only for a couple of minutes, followed by some talks in the crowds. People were free to speak in the podium and addressed their opinions. All of them denounced the attack.

Among them all, I found two speakers gave interesting speeches. The first one was an Iraqi man saying that early this morning he got a phone call from his 7-year-old daughter in Iraq. She was crying so hard and freaking out. She asked her father to take her out of that scary place. The father couldn't do anything but trying to calm her down, saying that everything would be alright... I was trying to imagine myself in that kind of situation; in the middle of nowhere, don't know where to go what to do, and the bombard never stops. Suddenly I feel so eerie...

The second speaker was a lady, a mom of 5-year-old daughter. She said that she was watching the news when suddenly her daughter raised a question, "what is a war, mum?" Being not ready to get such question, she just simply explained that war is a fight between people for some important matters. More questions, thus, came from that answer, "But why people fight against each other? Why it looks so scary on tv? What will happen with the kids during the war? Do they have some place to hide? If not, will they be dead?" Lord have mercy! Even I want to know the answers from those questions.

The demonstration lasted for an hour. After that, there would be another one held in Hanley City Centre at 5 in the afternoon. I was planning to go there, just to see what would happen. But since I fell asleep, due to the lack of sleep last night, I missed the time and just ended up watching all the war-related news from BBC, ITV, Channel4, and Channel5. ftd!