Wednesday, November 3, 2004

letter from a friend...

Here are some words for my international community, on a historic voting day in the US.

Every person I know is nervous. Nervous that there is even a possibility that Bush will end up back in the white house. Notice that I didn't say 'will get elected'. There is widespread skepticism about this election being legitimate - about Bush and the Republicans stealing the election again. From the new electronic voting machines, manufactured by a major corporate republican contribor, to the shady registration scams that have gone on in the 'swing states', there is much to be skeptical about.

It's obvious to me why it would be tragic to have Bush in an unaccountable second term. It would be a disaster for the environment, for justice, for women, for our civil liberties... I don't believe this country, or the world would, or should stand for it.

If Kerry ends up in the white house, though, things theoretically would slow down, and stop being so extreme. Things may even change diretion for the better. It wouldn't, though, solve any true problems as far as I can tell. He's still a corporatist and militarist. He still is for the status-quo of consumerism, free-trade, and corporate rule.

I live in California at the moment, and will be voting in California. Kerry is going to win in California by a projected 2million votes. I can't vote for him, I can't support so much of what he is about. So I'm voting Green. The only party that calls for systemic change, for true environmental policy, and for a true democracy. Voting for a third party in this election, which is supposedly so close (I say supposedly because the polls show it being close, but I don't trust the corporate media to tell us the truth on this), is a controversial move. There is much debate surrounding the idea of voting for someone other than Kerry or Bush, but these third parties are gaining strength and credibility and their votes are noticed now more than ever.

Overall, it's a pretty big mess here. There is a very deep and strong divide among the people all over the country - as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how people can believe the propaganda of this adminstration enough to vote for another four years of it, but there are millions of people vehemently supportive of this president.

Beyond what's going on here, it seems clear that most of the rest of the world would prefer to see Kerry (vs. Bush) in the white house. It's almost like the world has forgiven the american people for voting Bush in the first time (which wasn't really legitimate anyway), because they really didn't know what to expect - but if they were to vote him in again, I don't believe there would be so much global forgiveness. I'm not sure how all of you feel, but by the time many of you read this, the results will be in, and regardless of what happens, it will be time to get to work and stand up for peace and justice, for fair-trade, for environmental protection and progress. Who knows what's going to happen, but one things for sure: the political leaders and corporations are not guiding the world in the interest of the people, and as always, it looks like its up to the people to rise up and bring forth change.


As for an update from me, I just finished up an amazing season as a naturalist up in Southeast Alaska, guiding kayak and hiking adventures while giving natural history interpretation. It was epic. I'm now doing some contract work for a land conservation organization, while sitting on an Open Space Committee for the city of Arcata, teaching, and doing tons of volunteer work. Things are going fantastic. Jen and I are also now ENGAGED! Whoa! So next September 3-4-5 we'll be getting married out at Olympic Park Institute, in Washington State. Yeah!


From America,

Erik